Saturday, November 25, 2006

Five Best Books on Public Relations

OpinionJournal published Michael Kempner's list of five best PR books:

1. "Propaganda" by Edward Bernays (Liveright, 1928).

2. "American Hero" by Larry Beinhart (Pantheon, 1993).

3. "The Eloquent President" by Ronald C. White Jr. (Random House, 2005).

4. "Thank You for Smoking" by Christopher Buckley (Random House, 1994).

5. "All's Fair" by Mary Matalin and James Carville (Random House, 1994).

Other than "Propaganda," authored by the father of the public relations industry, the rest of the list are surprises. These are not your typical PR text books, and I'd never even heard of "The Eloquent President," a book about the eloquence of Abraham Lincoln. I'm a big Lincoln fan, so I don't know how I missed it, but I'm off to BN.com to pick it up.

Regarding "All's Fair," this is a terrific read. I'm proud to own a signed copy--signed by BOTH Matalin and Carville. They were the keynote speakers at the IABC conference in Washington DC in '95. If you haven't read it yet, go get it. It's fun for political junkies (like me) and PR pros (also like me). Enjoy!

No comments: