Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Does your PR rep need to KNOW the media

PR folk like to tout all the personal contacts they have in the media. I certainly do that when I'm approached about helping mobile software companies, because I've been working in this field for over a decade and happen to know some folks who write about mobile tech.

Those contacts are certainly useful sources, but they're not the most important asset a PR person should  bring to the table. From my experience, there's so much turnover in the media and the amount of blogs that come and go that relationships I may have had last year are completely pointless this year.

If your news is newsworthy and targeted to their particular "beat" then there's a good chance they'll cover it whether they "know" your PR rep or not. When considering hiring a rep, just remember this winning rule: media relationships are nice, but their ability to communicate and strategize on your behalf is even more important.

No comments: